The further we get from January 20th, the more urgently I feel the need to take action.
If you read my last blog post, you already know how I plan to do that. If not, here’s a recap: For the next 11 months, I will be creating a new piece of art to sell each month, and 30% of the proceeds from the piece will go to a different charity or organization. That’s 11 new prints and 11 different charities/orgs from February to December. The focus is on causes that I believe will need our help over the next four years – possibly now more than they ever have before – causes supporting the rights of women, children, immigrants, the arts, etc. Also, at the beginning of every month, when the new print is released, I will post a blog with information about that month’s charity/org, that way, at the very least, I can help raise awareness about the different causes.
Before this project officially launches on February 1st, here are some more details on the art, the charities/organizations, and one final note.
- Although I will eventually sell the original art pieces, during the next 11 months it will be the prints of the pieces that will be for sale
- 30% of the proceeds from each print will go to that month’s charity/org
- If you buy the Print of the Month, you will also receive:
- A code for 10% off the next art piece you commission
- A referral bonus – if someone buys something from me and tells me you referred them, you will receive 10% off of another commission piece
- The orders from each month will ship the 1st week of the next month (example: February’s prints will ship the 1st week of March)
- One of my goals this year is to listen to AND hear other people’s POVs, so if you have ideas or reference pictures for images I can use in my artwork or base the artwork off of, email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Art for Hope. If I use your image(s), you will be credited in the blog post for the month and in the note I will be sending out with each print. Also, if your image has a story behind it or personal connection to you, I will also feature your story in the blog (after receiving your permission)
- Since February is so close, I have already chosen the organization we will be supporting – the National Black Child Development Institute. There are other months I have already chosen (tentatively) the charity/org for as well, because they are close to my heart:
- June – The Trevor Project
- August – Random Acts Org
- October – My Hope Chest
- December – Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
- I welcome/encourage suggestions for the rest of the months – I’d love to hear your feedback and know what matters to you! Here is a quick survey you can take if you’d like to submit suggestions 🙂 This survey can be taken at any time over the next 11 months
- I would like to continuously support the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), so over the next 11 months, 20% of the proceeds of each commission will go to the ACLU.
One Last Note
Finally, this project needs a title. Like I said in my latest editing blog, I am terrible at naming things – blog posts, my car, probably my future children. I also believe that the more opportunities we have to work with each other and listen to each other the better off we’ll all be. So, if you feel so inclined, please help me settle on a name for this project by taking this quick survey. Everyone who takes the survey will receive a code for 10% off their next editing service OR art commission (are you noticing a trend? I like to give back! 🙂 ). The deadline for taking the survey is midnight on January 29th.
I know there is a lot of information in this post, so please feel free to let me know in the comments section if you have any questions! I’ll be back at the beginning of February to kick this project off with a post about the first organization we’ll be supporting and a picture of the first piece of art 🙂
Until then, dum spiro spero.